Low Budget Features: How, Why & What Not to Do!
The low budget feature film – it can be done.
Tait Brady’s two day intensive course for emerging feature film producers, writers, directors and line producers will show you all the insider tips and skills to make your low budget feature a success.
Both practical and conceptual, this workshop aims to lead filmmakers through the minefield of low budget production possibilities and pitfalls. Using case studies from a range of recent productions – ultra low budget (under A$500,000) and those utilising the Producer Offset at the lower end of the budget spectrum ($0.6 - $1.5m) - the class will analyse practical obstacles those Producers encountered and the solutions they devised to complete the project.
This course explores the creative freedoms and restrictions accompanying the low budget feature, and exploring the reasons why embracing a low budget aesthetic may be a wise, pragmatic and creatively freeing career move.
Tait will also discuss:
• Recurring shortcomings and oversights that can plague low budget projects and how to avoid them
• The low budget feature in the era of the Producer Offset, including innovative ways to attract and rewarding private investment to your project
• How to deliver basic marketing materials and prepare your film for the world marketplace
• How to work with state and federal agencies to best secure completion funding for low budget projects
• How to structure deferral deals with cast, crew and suppliers
• How best to manage relationships with Distributors and Sales Agents to ensure your low budget feature doesn’t end up an orphan
Handout notes will be provided.
Guest speakers will include entertainment lawyer and more (subject to availability).
*DISCLAIMER* AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If an enrolee wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 14 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations within 14 days of course commencement will incur a fee. For more information on AFTRS Open’s policies, including refund policies, please see
our policies page.