TV Shooter Producer Workshop
The world of television production is a fast changing environment – new roles and job descriptions are constantly being created. Many Reality/Observational documentary series employ ‘Shooter/Producers’ and this is now a skill set that is in high demand.
This course is designed for TV Producers, associate producers and researchers who have some production knowledge and experience but little or no camera expertise. It aims to familiarize course participants with the basic principles of recording quality picture and sound, with an emphasis on working in situations where they will have little control over the events they are filming. A good Shooter/Producer will be able to make editorial judgments on the run, know how to produce talent effectively, tell a good story, think on their feet as the world falls down around them, shoot sequences that can cut together in the edit and remain cool and calm under pressure.
In this course you will learn:
- Basic camera skills: setting up a camera, exposure, shutter speed, white balance, focus and how to shoot.
- Basic Sound skills – Microphones, radio mics & in camera sound
- about tape and tapeless cameras
- Interviewing set ups and shooting
- Interview technique and questions
- How to produce contributors efficiently
- Vox popping the public
- How to shoot a sequence
- Story telling/shooting for the edit
- Planning shoots, knowing what you need to shoot before you even leave the office
- The importance of cutaways and GV’s
- Cross shooting with another producer
- Health and safety and the law as a shooter producer
AND IF ALL ELSE FAILS
- What to do when no matter how much you plan, it all goes wrong!
Some feedback from our last workshop:
“The practical hands on experience was fantastic. I learnt a lot, all of which will be put into use. I feel much more comfortable with the camera and confident that I could produce good content. Mikey was outstanding!"
Student, November 2011
“Practical, hands-on experience was fantastic! I learned a lot. Mikey was outstanding!”
"Mikey was fantastic and very generous in his teaching style – I learned a great deal from him."
"I love it. Mikey was great fun and very informative. The practical courses were well thought-out and really consolidated in my understanding of how to use a camera."
*DISCLAIMER* AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If an enrollee wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 14 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations within 14 days of course commencement will incur a fee. For more information on AFTRS Open’s policies, including refund policies, please see
our policies page.