Introduction to Mari
VFX artist Dave King introduces Mari, the texturing software designed by Weta and used in King Kong, The Hobbit and Avatar.
This fully hands on course will teach you the core skills you need to texture complex 3D models effortlessly in Mari.
This course is ideal for both newcomers and professional texture artists familiar with Deep Paint or BodyPaint who want to quickly transition.
Dave will also share his experiences as a creature and character artist, creating textures for TVC, film and video games such as Unreal Tournament:04, Dungeons and Dragons: Stormreach and Dragonage:Origins.
This course teaches you how to:
• Master the interface.
• Understand Mari’s unique projection workflow.
• Paint models with hundreds of textures easily and seamlessly.
• Warp and modify photographs to fit 3D models.
• Make use of dynamic, real time masking.
• Create diffuse, dirt, specular, ambient occlusion and bump maps and juggle data between them.
• Use shaders to ‘vision mix’ and output texture sets effortlessly.
• Fast weathering techniques such as dirt, dust, sweat and blood.
*DISCLAIMER* AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If an enrollee wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 14 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations within 14 days of course commencement will incur a penalty. For more information on AFTRS Open’s policies, including refund policies, please see
our policies page.