Data Management for Editors
This short course is an introduction to managing data from file-based cameras in post-production.
Participants will cover historical and current formats including file-based codecs, metadata and how to handle multiple formats on one production. Media Management and liaising with the on-set production crew as well as best practices for documentation and naming conventions will be addressed
The course will deal with topics including:
- Managing data in the edit suite:
- Identifying data from various cameras such as DSLRs, Red, Sony EX, P2, GoPro etc.
- Correct digital formats for editing and delivery;
- Intermediate formats for exchange with other departments;
- File-based Workflows;
- Post-Production Pathways;
- Broadcast standards for delivery;
- Digital Asset Management;
- Archive and backup for file-based media.
- Shared Workflows for Avid and FCP.
Practical demonstrations, data delivery and distribution channels and an opportunity for Q&A will also be covered.
This course will be suitable for editors, assistant Editors and anyone who works in a post-production environment interested in getting a greater understanding of file-based media and taking advantage of file-based workflows in the edit suite.
Mark Stewart-Pearson has over 10 years experience in video data, editorial, data wrangling and is a workflow specialist.
*DISCLAIMER* AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If an enrollee wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 14 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations within 14 days of course commencement will incur a fee. For more information on AFTRS Open’s policies, including refund policies, please see
our policies page.