INTO THE BOX: An Intro to Writing for Television
This course will introduce emerging writers and potential script editors to the experience of working in the fast-paced and challenging environment of series television.
Writing and working in television differs substantially from film on many levels: deadlines are tight and networks are demanding! Over two days participants will be taken through the many facets and requirements of writing in a medium that requires team work, strict deadlines and an understanding of the many production aspects needed to make an on-going series.
Run by highly experienced TV Writer Vicki Madden , (credits include The Bill, Water Rats, Stingers, Halifax fp and McLeod’s Daughters and the telemovie ‘Blood Brothers’) and using lectures, screenings and practical exercises the course will look at:
- participants idea and how they fits into the TV market
- genres and the new cross-genres that are being employed to give a new spin on old ideas
- the structure of a TV series with and without commercial breaks using examples of current TV shows
- how to run A, B and C storylines using theme and structure and how to pull all three storylines together
- how to ‘turn’ a scene from negative into positive and vice-versa with a hook
- how to structure a 5 act episode
- how to create a written pitch
- writing as part of a team
- writing established characters that will impact on other writers working with you
- the role of a Story Producer
- how the plotting room works
Participants do not need to be experienced writers to benefit from this course– you just have some great ideas and lots of enthusiasm for working in the exciting mediums of TV Drama or Comedy.
Quotes from previous Into the Box students:
"Vicki diseminated the information in a really interesting way and kept the class engaged. She obviously knows what she’s talking about and has a lot of experience to draw upon."
"Very well structured and organised. Vicki knew exactly what she was talking about and I learnt so much more than I ever thought I would."
*DISCLAIMER* AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If an enrollee wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 14 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations within 14 days of course commencement will incur a fee. For more information on AFTRS Open’s policies, including refund policies, please see
our policies page.
Footscray Community Arts Centre